About Me

My photo
"A great poet, a really great poet, is the most unpoetical of all creatures." The Picture of Dorian Gray

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

day thirty-seven: the loss of Velv.

in this exact moment
i hate everything
i hate the way breathing feels
i hate the way holding my breath feels
i hate my fingers
i hate my friends
i hate being beneath these sheets

in this exact moment
i question everything i have ever loved
and why it was important to me
in this moment
i hate it all
i hate knowing
but i also hated wondering
i hate knowing that she is gone
i hate the hate that is suffocating me
i hate that loss is necessary for life
i hate that now i have to walk down to where she is buried
to cry
cry
cry
cry
because she is gone
never to bark at me
to express to me
that she wants me to throw the ball
or to move over so she can have the seat next to the armrest
so she can sit on my lap, which she hardly ever did
so she can sleep on my feet, like she used to
so she can get in my bed and chew a hole through my favorite quilt
simply because she couldn't sleep or the storm outside the house made her nervous
she will never
ride shotgun
and stick her wet nose
all over my window
and it will not be there for weeks
annoying me because it looks like a two year old
licked their finger and painted on the window
she wont do that anymore
because she isn't here.

she's under the trees,
below the birds she used to bark at,
she's beneath the soil
in the lower pasture.

she's my Velvet,
and she's not here anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment